MegaSquirt Information And Technical Help
Note — these are here to help guide you and provide information. As with anything involving electronics, computers, and cars bad things can happen without proper research and planning. Do your homework. We cannot be responsible for any of your actions or their results whether based on this information or not. Be smart, and be safe… and for goodness sake, don’t blow your car up!
From DIY Plug-n-Play setups to starting from scratch to build your own harness, and from factory EFI conversions to MegaSquirt to carb-to-EFI conversions. These articles are being gathered from around the web to give examples of how people are implementing the MegaSquirt ECU on various vehicles. Some contain very detailed technical information and wiring diagrams, some are more general in nature. If you know of an article that should be featured here email me a link at [email protected].
Documentation for current DIYAutoTune Hardware
Here you will find manuals for devices which were either designed by DIYAutoTune.com or are not official Bowling & Grippo products, not covered on the MegaSquirt documentation. These are supported through DIYAutoTune.com directly.
- MS3-Pro Standalone Engine Management
- MS3-Pro Module
- Information about our MSPNP line of Plug and Play ECUs
- DIYPNP build it yourself plug and play systems
- DIYBOB adapter boards
- Zeal Engineering Daughterboard
- DIYAutoTune.com 36-1 Crank Trigger Wheels
- DIYAutoTune.com Nissan Optical Bolt In Trigger Wheels
- QuadSpark Ignition Module
- HSD-4 High Side Driver Module
- JimStimX Assembly and Usage Guide
- VVTuner variable valve timing controller
- CAN-EGT 8 channel EGT module
Legacy DIYAutoTune hardware documentation
These items are no longer in production.
- Mustang 5.0 MS2 + PNP Adaptor Harness kit
- MegaView Kit Assembly Instructions
- GM TBI adapter board for 746/747 series ECUs
- GM TPI adapter board for 165 series ECUs
- MegaEFI adapter board for EEC-IV Fords
We no longer actively support the MS1-based eMS-Pro except for original purchasers of units bought through DIYAutoTune (be sure to have your receipt information ready before contacting us). For eMS-Pro tuning, also see the MS1/Extra documentation.
Installation and Wiring
- MegaSquirt Ground Pins
- How-To: Setup Base Ignition Timing
- Installing MegaSquirt in Parallel with the Stock ECU
- Will the MegaSquirt work with my stock ignition system???
- Measuring and Calibrating your Coolant (CLT) and Intake Air Temp (IAT) sensors
- Using MegaSquirt with a PerTronix Ignitor
- Using MegaSquirt with an MSD distributor
- Using MegaSquirt with Chevy Vortec ignition modules
- Controlling Gauges with MS3
- Adding a crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor to an older engine
Tuning and Settings
- MS3 and MS3Pro Failsafe Features
- How-To: Setup TunerStudioMS
- Tuning Pre-Fundamentals [Coming soon]
- Tuning Basic Acceleration Enrichments on your MegaSquirt EMS
- Secrets to Getting a Smooth Idle
- Dialing in the MegaSquirt Startup Settings
- Taking your MegaSquirt to the Dyno
- Road / Track Tuning your MegaSquirt Engine Management System
- Getting MegaSquirt’s stepper IAC control dialed in
- Big Power Management in a Low Traction World: Dialing in your traction control
Internal ECU features and troubleshooting
- How to Adjust the MegaSquirt VR Trim Pots
- Bench testing the MegaSquirt VR circuit
- Using Bosch BIP373 coil drivers with Megasquirt
- Troubleshooting MegaSquirt Communications Issues
- Common MegaSquirt Modifications
- Troubleshooting the MegaSquirt Injector Driver Circuit
- A Look Inside the MS3Pro Ultimate’s Programmable Peak and Hold Injector Driver
- Using Third Party Displays, Data Logging Units, and Smartphones with MegaSquirt
- Installing an Innovate Wideband and Gauge on a Buell Motorcycle (or any motorbike really)
Project car archives
These installations do not always use current parts, firmware, or settings.
- Carb-To-EFI Conversion: One Step at a Time – 1977 Chevy Nova with SBC 350
Customer submitted tech articles
Tips, tricks, and cool installations sent to us by our customers.
- Modifying a GM DIS coil pack base for direct coil control
- EDIS on an early Ford Bronco
- Modifying a Zeal Engineering Daughterboard to control a 3 wire IAC
- DIYPNP installation on a 1998 Toyota RAV4 with the 3S-GE
Other articles we found on the web you might find interesting
Want to learn more about Engine Management Systems and Tuning?
Pick up a copy of Performance Fuel Injection Systems by our own Matt Cramer & Jerry Hoffmann.