Justin Finney provided us with a writeup on use of a DIYAutoTune MegaSquirt EMS systems, trigger wheels and installation of a Ford EDIS ignition system on a 1966 Bronco.
Ford EDIS Megasquirt Conversion 289 302 351
Why Do this Conversion
- Bigger spark (no spark lost from the rotor to cap)
- Precise timing (timing chain slack and distributor gear wear can throw off timing)
- Control timing curves from your computer
- Larger spark plug gap
- Proven Technology (used on ford cars and truck for the last 15 years)
- MSD or Motorcraft Coil Pack MSD-8241
- EDIS 8 Module
- VR Pickup
- Trigger Wheel
- 4 Bolt harmonic balancer
- Single Pair shielded wire
- Aluminum scrap
- EDIS Plug wires
I started considering this conversion when I switched my 1966 Bronco to Megasquirt. Having fuel injection when off-roading is a must. With fuel injection you do not need to change jets or metering rods at high altitude. Now I have immediate throttle response and can stomp at any angle. I used a Holley-projection 700 CFM throttle body.
- 289 Cubic Inch engine
- Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap Manifold
- Holley Pro-jection 700 CFM Throttle Body
- Megasquirt II with 3.57 Board
- Heavily ported heads, hardened seats, Enlarge valves, Comp Cams triple springs
- Comp Cams Roller Rockers
- Comp Cams retro fit roller cam conversion XR282RF-HR10
- Headman Headers
- Victor Series Water Pump
- Billet Pulleys
Building The Trigger Wheel and VR Mount
I used my drill press to drill the 4 evenly spaced holes in the trigger wheel. I lucked out because I basically eyeballed it.
Building the Crank trigger wheel and VR Mount.
EDIS-8: missing tooth is exactly five teeth (50�) ahead of the VR sensor.
Having an extra timing chain cover made building the VR sensor mount allot easier. Most off this was just eyeballing. No formulas or calculations.
Sand Blast Cabinet
Harbor Freight Powder coating machine
Powder Coated and ready for Oven
Put in Oven
325 degrees for 15 Minutes. Beware! This is sure to activate angry wife syndrome.
Finished Wheel and Mount
Testing VR Mount
Cam Position Sensor off an Explorer 5.0. The only point of this part is to drive the oil pump and cover the hole left by the distributor.
Mounting Coil Packs and building wires. I used the coil pack mount off a 5.0 Explorer.
4 7 ///////////////3 5
8 2 ///////////////6 1
Mounting the EDIS Module and Megasquirt. This is Mounted under dash. Megasquirt is awesome.
I was using an MSD mechanical advance distributor and 6AL before the upgrade. Now I can control timing curves through Megasquirt. I can also run much bigger spark plug gaps. The system is way more precise then running a distributor. I will be adding an MSD DIS-4 Soon.