AMP EFI put together the best and most powerful ignition upgrade kit available for your Mazda Miata, MX-5, or Eunos Roadster, and it’s a complete drop-on affair. You may have seen DIY Miata Coil on Plug conversions using other coils. MaxSpark is next level with likely double the spark energy or possibly more.
- This is a full, plug and play solution to add incredibly strong ignition to your Mazda Miata.
- Owners of this kit report benefits such as elimination of misfire due to spark blow out, smoother idle, better throttle response, and more power.
- This ignition is hot enough for any engine modifications you have planned; naturally aspirated or forced induction, high compression, turbo, supercharged and nitrous. Crank the boost on that turbo Miata; we’ve got spark covered.
- Package includes everything you need — Plug and play harness, ignition coils, plug wires, bracket, and hardware. The installation couldn’t be any easier.
- A full, high quality installation guide is included [download]. There is no guesswork.
- SIMPLE installation. If you can change your own oil, you are more than qualified to install this kit. There is no cutting, drilling, fabricating, etc. It’s bolt on and plug and play.
- The kit utilizes the AMP EFI IGN1A smart ignition coils that produce over 100mj (nearly 2X more energy than the leading competitors) per spark event.
- High quality, plug and play harness features OE-grade connectors, techflex flame retardant loom, and TXL high temp automotive grade wire.
- All wires are color coded.
- Coil connectors are labeled with custom printed heatshrink to help you install it right the first time.
- Wiring harness is designed to be tucked for a professional and appealing look when installed. But it’s so dead sexy you might not want to hide it!
- A top of the line, waterproof automotive grade relay and fuse allow for minimal voltage drop. Both 12V power and ground connections to the coils are greatly improved over the original factory wiring. This allows for much less voltage drop, thus much better ignition performance.
- The ignition high current is routed though this new relay, instead of through the OE main relay. This should increase reliability of the main relay, a common failure point in the NA and NB Miata, especially when driven hard. This could save you a race someday…. we’ve seen that stock relay take out many a contender.
- The included custom coil bracket is powdercoated and will fit virtually any Mazda B6 or BP series engine, including the VVT engine!
- Coils can be triggered by factory style wasted spark, and provisions are included for sequential coil-per-plug control (requires running 2 wires and an aftermarket PCM cable of sequential ignition).
- We did our homework to try and ensure this kit works with other common Miata Performance Parts as well.
- Factory strut bar fits (flip it around on VVT motors).
- Aftermarket FM strut bar fits.
- Customer reports his Carbing three point bar fits as well (see pic in gallery above)
- We’ve even had a customer report already that the kit worked on his RHD car (Australia).
If you have been wondering what the best coil on plug conversion ignition system is for your Supercharged Miata or Turbo Miata, the pinnacle of Miata Performance Ignition, you’ve found it.
Available Models (select vehicle year in drop down menu):
*MM9093 — Fits 1990-1993 Miatas. Will fit non USDM 1.6 NA Miatas through 1997.
*MM9400 — Fits 1994-2000 Miatas. Yes, both NA8 and NB1.
*MM0105 — Fits 2001-2005 Miatas, both VVT engines and Mazdaspeed / MSM. WILL NOT FIT MSM with factory strut bar installed. Can be modified to fit but will need longer spark plug wires.
*DIY Crimp Kit — This kit includes the coils, bracket, plug wires, and a “flying lead” version of our harness. This allows easy integration with your custom engine wiring harness, instead of using the factory coil wiring. You will need to wire ignition switched 12V (to trigger the new relay) and the ignition coil trigger wires.
Note: 1990 through early 1995 Miatas have ignition module coil driven tachometers. On these years, the MaxSpark kit does not use the stock module, and therefore does not have tachometer drive capability. Using this kit on 1990 through early 1995 Miatas requires a standalone ECU. We believe that most users of this product will have a standalone ECU and/or aftermarket dash anyway. This is not a concern in 1995.5 and newer Miatas.
6 reviews for MaxSpark PNP – IGN1A Smart Coil Ignition Kit for 1990-2005 Mazda Miata